I am a student in Professor Arvan's Econ 490 class, writing under an alias to protect my privacy, using the name of a professional economist as part of the alias.

Friday, September 30, 2016

"Illinibucks"

I think that the implementation of “Illinibucks” would take a lot of planning to make sure that all the logistics of the system would run smoothly. Thinking closer about what rules could be in place for this hypothetical situation, I have tons of questions for how it would even work. It seems like a very simple scenario at first, the University just allocates some of these “Illinibucks” to students to use when they deem fit. I would wonder if every student gets the same amount of “Illinibucks,” or if incoming freshman or transfer students would receive different allocations based on things like incoming GPA or what college/major they were in. Using the example of “Illinibucks” being used for class registration, I think it would only be fair to have each student be allocated the same amount of bucks. Since the concept of the “Illinibucks” is to move you ahead in the registration period, it would in a way defeat the purpose to give people who are already earlier in the registration period more “Illinibucks” than those who are farther back in the period who actually would make good use of the “Illinibucks.”

Another issue with this system would be finding a variety of options for students to use these “Illinibucks” with. While I think that using them to “move to the front of the line” for class registration would be an amazing use, if this were the only opportunity of use, each student would opt to move to the front of the line which is impossible, making the system completely worthless. For this reason, I think that the University would have to come up with many things that would be candidates for the use of “Illinibucks.” I was struggling thinking of things that would qualify, since it was explained that the sole purpose of the “Illinibucks” would be to move to the front of the line of said situation.

Ultimately, I was able to come up with a few additional uses other than class registration. One use would be to have the ability to move to the front of the line at the Illini Union Bookstore during syllabus week when every student is trying to buy his or her books. In this case, the line can get outrageously long and discouraging to students, making it a great candidate for using “Illinibucks.”  Another use I thought of would be to skip the line to pick up their cap and gown for graduation, which many students wait in for a substantial amount of time, similar to the bookstore scenario. Lastly, a use I thought of would be to skip a line at a student’s respective career fair. While this might not be applicable to all students since career fairs aren’t applicable to everyone’s major or future plans, I think that many students would like the opportunity to do this. Specifically in terms of the business career fair, students can find themselves waiting in very long lines for companies that many students are interested in, and might only have time to talk to a few companies because they spend so much time in line waiting. I know that if I had this opportunity my junior year, I would’ve used my “Illinibucks” to skip a line at the career fair to give me the chance to talk to more companies, especially one I was really interested in.

Logistically speaking, I think that these “Illinibucks” would be kept track of by the use of the student’s iCard. I think this would be the simplest way if at each designated opportunity to use the “Illinibucks” there could be somewhere for the student to swipe their iCard and the data could be kept electronically for the University have.

Lastly, the price of all these opportunities would have to be set very strategically. Similar to if there weren’t enough situations to use the “Illinibucks,” if the price was set too low, everyone would jump at the chance to skip the line, therefore making the use of the “Illinibucks” meaningless since it wouldn’t be possible for everyone to skip the line. Alternatively, if the price was set too high, students might become hesitant at using their “Illinibucks” too early, which may result in them waiting too long and having some “Illinibucks” left over, being inefficient.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say I'm pleased that I can respond to a student before the weekend starts so that I have fewer posts to review tomorrow. Thank you for that.

    When I was a young assistant professor and taught intermediate microeconomics, lots of students would come to office hours. I'd take them first come, first served. So Illinibucks could be used in that setting. Or if there is a campus office that takes students (perhaps a financial aid office or an academic advisor's office). That's the sort of thing I had in mind.

    Whether it would actually work, let's discuss in class. At the time I was an assistant professor, there were no portable devices, no way to schedule things online, no real way other than phone to make appointments in advance. One wonders now about whether the technology has solved those problems or if they still persist.

    On the registration, I believe the software is such that when you have a go at it, you register for all the classes at once. But, at least conceptually, you might consider having early priority on registering for just one class but then later priority on all other classes. Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up interesting points that I hadn’t thought of. I definitely agree that the Illinibucks would be a good use for office hour purposes. I personally have never had the problem of there being too many students at office hours, which could be the reason I was ignorant to this idea before. Now, however, I can see the case where in larger classes, especially before a big deadline or exam, that it could be very crowded and using Illinibucks to skip the line could be very beneficial for a student. I also really liked your example of usage for moving to the front of the line for an academic advisor’s appointment. This is something I didn’t think of until you mentioned it but would be an amazing use. Right before class registration, appointments fill up very quickly, so I can see many students opting to use Illinibucks in this way.

      I would also agree that having the ability to sign up for one class as oppose to all of them could help with the logistics of this process. I would think, however, that the class that a student would opt to use their Illinibucks for would be a class they know is also sought after by other students and typically fills up quickly. I think that limiting a student to only registering early for one class could help when looking at the big picture, since there are cases where a student would ideally like to register for multiple popular classes, and would therefore have to make a decision, opening up a spot in the one they can’t register for.

      I think that this topic is exceptionally interesting and I’m looking forward to our class discussion next week about it.

      Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I really like the idea of using the Illini bucks to get ahead in line at the Union Bookstore and the picking up the cap during senior year since I know that the lines get super long and the opportunity costs for the students would be very high, instead of waiting in line for a couple of hours you could just spend some of your Illini bucks buy your books fast and get out. One problem I would see with this is that everyone would want to do this and then it would once again there would be a huge line to wait in. The only solution to this would be to make the prices higher than normal in order to weed out some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The implementation of using the Illinibucks at the career fair is really interesting. I think there would be a heavy demand, because at some major companies it can take forever to get your turn with them. However, I think companies would not allow it to happen, they want it to be fair to all, not giving people with money the advantage. Also, it could bring out discrimination, as companies could target people with Illinibucks to bring money into their companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The implementation of using the Illinibucks at the career fair is really interesting. I think there would be a heavy demand, because at some major companies it can take forever to get your turn with them. However, I think companies would not allow it to happen, they want it to be fair to all, not giving people with money the advantage. Also, it could bring out discrimination, as companies could target people with Illinibucks to bring money into their companies.

    ReplyDelete