I am a student in Professor Arvan's Econ 490 class, writing under an alias to protect my privacy, using the name of a professional economist as part of the alias.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Changes in Greek Life and my Experience

Today, I would like to talk about an organization very important to me that I have been a part of since the beginning of my freshman year: my sorority. Now, I know that sororities, fraternities and greek life as a whole has a bad reputation at times. This bad reputation and the changes it has made to greek life is exactly what I would like to talk about.

My sorority itself hasn’t gone through any drastic changes in my last three years of membership. We are still our own RSO, we haven’t been on probation or had any negative media coverage, which is something that I am very grateful for as a member and a former executive board member. That isn’t always the case though, and often times most members of a greek organization will endure a probation period, negative media coverage, and consequently some changes to the organization because of such actions.

More often, fraternities are the ones getting the negative media coverage in terms of misuse of alcohol and hazing practices, which come with very harsh consequences. However, sororities often endure scrutiny for these actions as well as being conceived as superficial and filled with fake, paid friendships. Regardless of the light the media is trying to shed on greek organizations, in my experience it is always the negative. This negative, dark light is what has changed greek life as a whole, and a light that will continue to do so until greek organizations completely disappear, or so I believe.

Growing up, I watched the news a lot with my parents. Getting ready for school my parents would always have the news on, the same goes for before and after dinner. To my recollection, I can’t remember one time hearing greek letters or hearing about greek organizations on the news, positively or negatively. I honestly had no idea what a sorority or fraternity was until I was probably halfway through high school. Flash forward to 2016, and that’s all a completely different story. Greek life, fraternities in particular, is constantly scrutinized for certain practices in the media. This media coverage has casted a very dark, negative shadow on greek life and the organizations as a whole.

As I mentioned previously, during my membership of my sorority I haven’t witnessed any drastic changes, but that doesn’t mean that this media coverage across the country hasn’t shaped my organization. We are constantly reminded by our organization leaders to be conscious of what we put on social media and the consequences that could come if we don’t obey the ideals because we aren’t just representing ourselves; we are representing our sorority and greek life as a whole.

I can’t imagine this same strictness was in place ten years ago, possibly even five years ago. Being a part of a greek organization feels like a constant struggle so legitimize ourselves, because the media doesn’t care and won’t broadcast about all the money organizations make for their communities and philanthropies through the years.

Now, I’m not trying to say that greek life and all of its organizations are perfect, and I do think that those organizations straying away from the ideals of their organizations should be punished. What I am trying to say, however, is that the actions of one organization, or one person, should set the image for the thousands of others a part of greek organizations. Regardless, the growing media coverage greek life has drawn in the past five years has definitely changed greek life and its organizations as a whole.

In some ways, there are some transaction costs to being in greek life. In many ways, this can draw connections to one another. I actually met and shadowed a woman at my internship this summer who turned out to be a member of my sorority of the same chapter. In other ways, being a member of a greek organization could be a gamble. Think about if you were a member of an organization that has negative media coverage recently when you are applying to jobs, especially if you were in a position of authority in that organization. It would most certainly be a setback in the process.


Overall, I have had a great experience being a member of my greek organization, but I can see that changes that my sorority has gone through to adapt to the media coverage and social stigmas that come with greek life. In a way, this media coverage may be a good thing for greek life because it’ll make the organizations honest and safe, and if they aren’t, I don’t think the media will let them get away with it.

3 comments:

  1. A few years ago in this class I had a student who was at the time president of her sorority and, if I recall correctly, she had many challenges with getting the sorority members to follow the rules or suggestions that she was making. She ended up making every post about her sorority experiences, and was able to do that to some good effect, because she could connect those experiences to the topics we were discussing in class.

    So I am quite okay on your posting about your sorority experiences. But in this post you really didn't do that. Instead, you discussed the negative press that fraternities and sororities have been getting over the last several years. And on that score, in addition to the excessive drinking and the hazing, there is also the issue of whether these organizations are restrictive and keep out minority students.

    Yet what the press has to say about things is not the same as your own experiences. You said you had previously been a member of the board for your sorority. Then you just moved on instead of describing what it was like, whether the board is really necessary, whether you enjoyed doing that work or not, and why you are no longer on the board. In other words, there could have been a lot more detail on that.

    You could the also discuss what it is like being a sorority member. Do you live at the sorority now? How does being a sorority member affect you - academically, socially, perhaps in other ways? Even though that student from a few years ago wrote about these things: (1) I'm still pretty ignorant about sororities, so unless you explain things to me with detail I won't really know what you are referring to, (2) it might be that sororities are different so your experience is unlike here, and (3) much of the detail she told me I have since forgotten.

    So I encourage you, in responding to my comment, to ask why you focused on how the press views sororities rather than on your own experience. Perhaps in subsequent posts, you can return to the sorority example and bring in your experience more in the posting.

    Let me close by noting that I appreciate your getting this post done early. I said in class on Tuesday that I will not grade individual posts but rather give one grade at mid semester for the first half of the posts done. With that I hope that subsequent posts better address the prompt (or explain why you have chosen to write about something else.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping with this post that I would express how I felt the negative press that fraternities and sororities have been getting over the past several years had subsequently affected my membership in my sorority. Clearly I did not do that effectively, and for that I apologize.

      As I mentioned in my post, my sorority itself hasn’t over gone a significant change, so I wanted to focus on how the overarching view of the greek community portrayed by the press has changed this community as a whole and therefore my experiences. In hindsight, I could have focused much less on the press and been more specific with my own personal experiences with my organization and how it has affected me socially and academically, as you proposed in your comment.

      Thank you for commenting on my post so promptly and with such detail. I feel that these comments have set me in the right direction and I hope you see that in my future posts.

      Delete
  2. Being a part of a fraternity I can relate to the struggles of being in greek life. The negative connotation is brought out by a small portion of the entire system, an outlier we could say. To generalize the entire system on a few bad situations is unfair, and it is what people who are not in greek life tend to do. I have gained a lot from my fraternity, more than any other organization on campus, and to me that is why they are still present to this day.

    ReplyDelete