I am a student in Professor Arvan's Econ 490 class, writing under an alias to protect my privacy, using the name of a professional economist as part of the alias.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Risk Behavior

In class, we talked about how younger people typically are more tolerant to risk than older people. I have an older sister who is twenty-seven years old and, while she has only been in the work force for six years, I think that her actions involving financial risks have echoed this theory rather consistently.

My sister was advertising major here at the University of Illinois. She graduated with high honors in her major, but I don’t think that anyone that goes into advertising expects to make tons of money, especially when they are just starting out. When my sister graduated college, she had an internship with a small healthcare advertising firm in a Chicago suburb. This was the first job that she had that was relevant to her major. After that summer of interning for the company, she was offered a full-time position and has been there ever since.

For the first two years after graduation, my sister lived at home with my parents so that she could save up money to live in the city. This technically would be a risk adverse thing to do, but I honestly think the only reason she stayed home is because she wouldn’t have been able to live otherwise with the money that she had saved up thus far. My sister thought that after two years of saving, she had enough money to move out so she moved into the city with one of her friends. When she lived there, she seemed to be living the dream life. From the outside looking in, I saw my older sister whom I had always looked up to living in this great neighborhood in the city in a nice apartment with her best friend and was constantly going out to eat and shopping. This was the life that I have aspired to have since I saw her achieve it.

It wasn’t until recently, however, when my sister moved out of the city and into an apartment in the suburbs with her fiancĂ© that I realized that life wasn’t as perfect for her as I had made it out to be. While she was living in the city and doing all the things I just described, she wasn’t saving any money during the two years that she lived there. My sister shared with me this summer that it took nearly her entire paycheck every month to live the lifestyle that she wanted in the city, and that while she misses living there, she is so happy that she is finally saving money, because she is in that place of her life where she is thinking about marriage and buying a home and having a family.

When my sister first told me that she went two years without saving anything, I was a bit taken aback because I couldn’t imagine living like that. The way my sister explained it, though, is that that was going to be the one time of her life to live in the city with her best friend and not have anyone else depending on her, so she wanted to have the full experience and do whatever she wanted. She was willing to do so even if that meant working overtime now and saving all of it so that she’ll have money for a wedding and a down payment on a house. Now, even though my sister has a much smaller cost of living, I hear her saying things such as, “I can’t afford that,” because she knows that she has some ground to make up. I think that this scenario of my sister almost perfectly exemplifies the theory that younger people are able to tolerate risk more than older people. I was able to see this transition in risk even within just a few years of her being in the job market.

Being able to witness and learn from my sister is something that I will always be grateful for. I have always looked up to my sister, and in ways also envied her successes which made me strive to do good things, better things, as well. I feel like I came into college knowing the system a lot more because I was able to witness my sister going through it. I picked a “hard” major, actuarial science, partially because of my love for math but also because of the salary I could achieve. I don’t think that I thought of salary at the time as a factor of risk and more so just an idea that was good at the time. What I will say, however, is that I think that I have gotten myself in internship opportunities early on in my college career, at least relative to my sister who got her first on after graduation, in hopes of saving money for later on. Even when I was a sophomore, I was actively looking for internships to build my resume and save some money so that I could reduce risk in the future when I hopefully move into the city with some friends. I was one of my only friends with an internship after sophomore year because I was one of the only ones that tried. I now already know where I’m going to work full time after graduation, and I would attribute that to seeing my sister go through this experience and learn that I’m going to have to be a bit more risk adverse now so that I have tolerate the risk I will endure when I more into the city in the coming years.

4 comments:

  1. Your sister came out of college at at time when the labor market was improving but was still quite soft. Some of her experiences reflect the overall macroeconomic conditions at the time.

    That said, within the Chicago are there can be quite a steep rent gradient going from one neighborhood to another. When I was a grad student back in the late 1970s, I lived in Rogers Park because I couldn't afford Evanston rents. I imagine Rogers Park is still quite affordable, but the social life doesn't compare with Wrigleyville, where the rents are undoubtedly much higher. The choice of where to live matters a lot both for quality of life and for the fraction of income devoted to housing.

    I was surprised to hear you mentioned majoring in actuarial science, as I don't recall that from previous posts. Are you still doing that? I think of it as a field with a very steady demand for new employees, so a lot of job security, but I'm not sure how engaging the work is. In any event, there is income risk if you go into a well paying field but don't like doing the work, because the temptation to quit and find something else that is more satisfying is large. Conversely, if you find something that you love to do, but it doesn't pay well at all, that too has risks with it, especially if your aspirations for consumption are constantly thwarted.

    That you have piece of mind about your post graduation work is very good for you. Congratulations. From my experience with students in years past who were in that same position, they began to have a harder time staying focused on their classes. I hope you can see ours through and that the senioritis symptoms don't manifest for real till the spring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I failed to mention that after the first semester of my junior year I switched from actuarial science into economics, something that was actually pretty easy to do since the courses for these majors overlap a bit. I made this change for a reason similar to one you mentioned, I found that I didn't enjoy the material I was learning and that I didn't enjoy taking all the exams that are required to be an actuary. I decided that while the high pay is enticing, that the amount of time that I would spend in the coming years studying for the exams wasn't worth it.

    My first internship after my sophomore year I was an actuarial intern at an insurance company. It was a really great opportunity but that was when I realized that I didn't like the work that I would do if I were to do that as a career. This past summer, though, I was a marketing intern at a pharmaceutical product manufacturer and distributor and loved it. I was lucky enough to get an offer back with the company, which is where I'll be working next year. I will be making a bit less than I would be if I were to have stuck with actuarial science, but being able to have a job that I enjoy doing is worth that income risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that me and you have very similar situations when it comes to our siblings. My brother also graduated from here, and he struggled after graduation to find an appealing job. He struggled due to his lack of experience and his major choice (communications). Me and you both were smart enough to see what our older siblings did wrong and learn from their mistakes. We targeted better majors, and more importantly we targeted getting experience at a young age.

    I think the career fairs on campus are the most under-utilized resource we have provided for us. My brother never even attended one, and there are so many other students who do the same. Having the opportunity to meet with hundreds of companies that are looking for candidates just like us is an opportunity that no one should pass up, yet so many students do.

    My brother moved out right away as well, and with that he hasn't saved all that much. Do you plan on staying at home to save more then your sister? Or do you plan on targeting a cheap living option in the city? I think I will move out still, but I will be striving to live a much less lavish lifestyle to the one my brother lived right out of college.

    Lastly, I think it's really good that you got you got you feet wet as a sophomore intern and realized you didn't like your major. So many students on this campus go all four years pursuing a major without even experiencing what it is like doing that job in a real world setting, for all they know they might dislike it just like you. At the end of the day if you love and have a passion for what you are doing that is way more important then making a few extra dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is very interesting that you were able to see how your sister chose to live her life after college. After her experience you got to realize just how important it is to choose a major that can make you financially independent.

    I never had someone older than me to learn from besides my parents but I think it is different when compared to the relationship you have with a sibling. For example, I see my girlfriend always reaching out to her sister who graduated from U of I a couple of years ago in order to ask her about tips at the career fair and for tips at interviews. This is a resource I wish I could benefit from.

    ReplyDelete